Blog: Take The Stress Out Of Housecleaning
How to Eliminate Smoke Odor from a Wood Burning Stove or Fireplace
Naturally, the best way to eliminate smoke odor is to completely wash the room, from top to bottom; however, we don't want to do this every time that we use the wood stove or fireplace. So, what can we do to eliminate the odor with minimal effort?
First of all, make sure that you always remove the 'cold' ashes immediately and move them to the outside ash bin. Don't leave them in the house any longer than necessary.
Now, short of washing the walls,upholstery,carpeting and mirrors etc. these little tips will make everyones life a little more pleasant.
1. Set vinegar around the room in small fancy little containers. The fancy little containers are just going to disguise the ingredients and make your wife feel better about doing this. Vinegar will absorb the smell and the odor of the vinegar will not be known to anyone.
2. Another source of absorption is 'charcoal', although this is harder to hide from view, it also will eliminate the odor.
3. During the heating season it is wise to wash the curtains more often. A greasy residue builds up and with the fabric of most curtains, will weaken the threads.
4. Put baking soda on the carpets and furniture and if possible, do this at night and then vacuum off in the morning. Baking soda will absorb some of the grease and leave a fresh odor in the room.
5.Simple Green and Spic and Span are great for washing walls, although I am going to give you a recipe, using baking soda, that works great too.
6. Spray the upholstery, curtains and carpeting with Odor Ban or Fabreze (odor eliminators) to help to take away smoke smell buildup.
7. Recipes for Baking Soda Cleaner:This is great for washing walls, most upholstery (try a small area first), glassware (although you can use vinegar and water too) and carpeting.
To use in a spray bottle
1 Tbs. baking soda
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 cups of water
Mix completely by shaking the bottle and spray. Can be kept in the bottle and used when needed.
To mix in a bucket
1/2 cup of baking soda
1/8 cup of lemon juice
2 gallons of hot water
Mix and wash walls etc.
Vinegar is also a great cleaner when used for removing dirt and odors, I use a strong solution of 2 cups of vinegar to 2 gallons of water.
This website also has some information that I know would be of interest to you:
Jan Hayner is creator of Organizing Your Life THE EASY WAY .com and offers tips and hints on organizing and shortcuts to cleaning your home and office. She offers checklists, articles and guides to help you take the stress out and to do things the easy way.
posted on: 4/4/2008 10:00:00 AM by Jan Hayner
Take The Stress Out Of Housecleaning: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Discuss This Post
Take The Stress Out Of Housecleaning
by Jan Hayner
View This Blog
Subscribe To This Blog
Jan Hayner is a Professional Organizer and the creator of www.organizingandcleaning.com filled with tips and hints on home organizing and house cleaning shortcuts. After years and years of making mistakes and wasting money she has used her own experiences to help take the stress out of life. There are so many shortcuts to cleaning and organizing, that when you apply them, you will have time for the fun things in life!
Fun Things To Do
- Fishing Lake Michigan
Whether it is by boat or off the pier, there is nothing like getting that first Coho or King.
- Grandchildren are fun
Making memories for your grandchildren of all of the fun times they had with grandma and grandpa is one of the best memories you will make for yourself too.
A tent, a firepit and sitting in the woods is a campers dream. We spend a lot of time camping in Northern Wisconsin and I have tons of camping recipes to share.
- American Idol
I am hooked on this show, nothing interrupts me when this is on. By the time they get to Hollywood, I already have the top ten picked out.
- Last Comic Standing
I love to see how these people, take the judges advice and change their tactics to become great comics, instead of just a comic.
Now really, isn't he the kind of doctor you want on your side? He always has a reason for his actions, he looks until he finds the cure and he has flaws just like the rest of us.
- Any home make over show
I get some of my best ideas off of these shows and I also find things that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone elses home. I will admit, there are times that I wish they would call me and ask for my help!