Blog: The Simplified Home
Six Bright Ways to Save at Home
In this economic climate we are all looking for strategies to reduce our living expenses and hopefully in a eco-friendly way. When it comes to saving energy in your home, lighting is an easy place to start, according to Edison Electric Institute. You may wonder what lighting has to do with achieving a simplified home. Quite a bit actually. Simplifying your home environment and life includes more than organizing your stuff, containers, and everything you own having a home. Simplifying life includes designing your environment for greater productivity, and lighting contributes greatly to how you feel and work in your space. It also means using your resources efficiently, which is what I'm referring to in the following six ways to save.
These bright ideas may help you become more energy efficient.
- Dust light bulbs and fixtures regularly.
- Provide task lighting over desks, tool benches and the like so you don't have to light the whole room.
- Put lamps in corners of rooms so the light reflects off two walls
- For lamps left on more than two hours a day, use compact fluorescent bulbs, which use up to 66 percent less electricity than incandescent bulbs. A 23-watt compact fluorescent bulb can replace a 100-watt incandescent.
- Use dimmable incandescent bulbs wherever possible.
- Install photoelectic controls or timers to turn outdoor lighting off and on each day.
To learn more about how to save money and protect the environment, visit www.getenergyactive.org.
posted on: 3/2/2009 10:00:00 AM by Janet Nusbaum, The Organizing Genie
The Simplified Home: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Discuss This Post
There are no comments.
The Simplified Home
by Janet Nusbaum, The Organizing Genie
View This Blog
Subscribe To This Blog
Janet Nusbaum creates calm out of chaos, and loves bringing serenity and order to overwhelmed households, cluttered offices, frazzled parents, and transitioning seniors and families. Janet, President of Simplified Spaces & The Simplified Home, is an Organizing Consultant, Senior Move Manager, Author and Speaker.
She is the author of "Mom, Can I Help Around the House?" A Simple, Step-by-Step System for Teaching Your Children Life-Long Skills for Pitching-In & Picking-up".
She is a proud member: National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) & National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization (NSGCD)
Visit our blog - www.TheOrganizingGenie.com, and sign-up to receive our special report "SHELF LIFE OF 75 COMMON HOUSEHOLD ITEMS. Use this report to decide what to keep and what to toss ... then TAKE ACTION!!
Janet's Other Blogs: