Blog: Paper Organizing Made Easy
Finding Important Papers When You Need Them
Event tickets, conference registration forms, airline e-tickets. These are examples of paper that needs to be used on a specific day. So, how do you keep track of it all, and have it when you need it? A "Tickler File" can be your friend!
Some call it a "43 Folders" System and some call it a "Tickler File". I call it a "I-Know-Where-That-Piece-Of-Paper-Is-When-I-Need-It" System. Here's what you'll need to set it up:
- 43 manila 3 tab folders: 12 center cut and 31 right cut
- 43 hanging files (if you want to hang them, which is your option, and not necessary)
- 1/2 a file drawer
- Something to write with
Here's what you do:
- Label each center cut folder with one of the names of the month: January - December.
- Label each right cut folder with the days of the month: 1-31.
- Put the 1-31 folders behind this month. (Adjust the day if needed.)
Here's how you use it:
- Each day, empty the contents of your "date" folder (the 1-31 folders). Once it's empty, file it behind the next month.
- For future events, drop your paper in the correct month.
- At the beginning of each month, empty that month's folder, and redistribute the papers to the correct date.
Need a picture? Here's one (click to view).
Now you'll know where your papers are and not feel that cold sweat because you have no idea where you put them (much better than a pile somewhere, I promise you). This system is also great for bills or notes to yourself to research a vacation. The possibilities are endless! What will you use it for?
Have a question? I'm as close as an email.
posted on: 10/31/2007 10:30:00 AM by Brandie Kajino
Paper Organizing Made Easy: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Paper Organizing Made Easy
by Brandie Kajino
View This Blog
Brandie Kajino, "The Home Office Organizer" "Empowering you to organize your home office"
Brandie's Other Blogs:
- Disorder2Order Blog
- Creative Organizing Blog
Aby Garvey's blog
- Ikea Hacker
Fun things to do with Ikea products
- My Lemonade Stand Blog
For the brighter side of life
- My Simpler Life Blog
- Neat & Simple Blog
- Harmonious Environment Blog
Great information on feng shui
- OrganizingLA Blog
John Trosko's musings on organizing and other fun stuff
- Simple Living America
- The Cottage Nest Blog
I love cottage style, and this is a great blog for ideas!
- The Inspired Room
Get inspired by Melissa's gorgeous photos and ideas about interior redesign
- Your Life.Organized.
Monica Ricci's blog
Learn about living simply and getting life to what matters
Women DIYers unite!
- Get Satisfied
- Ideal Bite
Want to make your life more environmentally friendly? Take a little "bite" at a time and make it happen!
- Interior Refiners Network
Want to redecorate in one day? It can be done. Find an Interior Refiner near you.
- National Association of Professional Organizers
Find a Professional Organizer near you.
- Office PDX
Part office products, part art gallery, part cultural creativity center. Lots of fun!
What's not to love about gorgeous office products?
- See Jane Work
Stylish & sophisticated office products for professional women
Storage + style = fabulous!
- Take Back Your Time
Working smarter, having more life
- The Container Store
The original organizing store
The biggest resource on the internet of where to recycle, dispose of properly and generally become more environmentally responsible
Find a recipe, eat really good food