Blog: Life Fitness
Are these negative attitudes sabotaging your healthy "chi"?
The fitness industry concentrates on the negative - an obsession with being thin, health felonies and disasters. (eating too much and of the wrong foods, alcohol, sedentary lifestyle, illness)
Your "chi" is your essence, your energy. You can practice all the self care you want, but if you're stuck in negative self-talk or mindsets you could be sabotaging yourself way beyond what you think. The best approach to adopting a healthy lifestyle? Start small – but start. Modify and change in baby steps.
Move away from the obsessive deprivation oriented approach which sets us up to go back to our old ways as a reward.
You've got to "M"power yourself. M stands for "Mind". Change starts within. Period. Working with our natural instincts, we can shape our own fitness preferences.
In reality, being "thin" and inactive is more of a risk in many cases than someone who is obese but active.
7 Negative Attitudes that will keep you stuck, stressed and stuffed:
1. Replaying the Past. Getting caught up in old stories. You are not your stories. They become part of your current experience and how you define yourself. The dark memories of the past don't determine the outcome of your present efforts.
2. Discounting. This mental habit not only takes away the benefits of exercise, but you begin not to honor yourself. Phrases like "Oh, what difference does it make anyway?" and "How is that going to help me?" serve only to erode your self esteem and confidence.
3. All or nothing thinking. An attitude of "I can't do anything right" or "I can never stick with a clean eating program" or "If I can't do it perfectly, why bother?"When there is no flexibility there is no opportunity for good health. You think of yourself as a failure and you sabotage the person you're most trying to help - you!
4. Focusing on the negative. One of the most serious detriments to positive action is continued negative feedback. How much of a motivator is it to focus on poor results as a way to motivate yourself - in any area of your life? Stop worrying and start moving.
5. Living for the future. Trying to motivate yourself to healthy, organized living by telling yourself how great everything will be "someday" or a year from now is an exercise in futility. It is distracting and draining. Stay in the present moment. If you're not pursuing your life with joy now - you won't be happy 10 years from now either. Practice daily the art of concentrating on the present moment and defining how you want to live your life now - in a way that energizes and motivates you. That will make your healthy lifestyle a reality.
6. Pretense and denial. It's about holding yourself accountable and not fixing blame or living your stories about yourself. Focus your awareness on what you CAN do to stay healthy and become mindful of your intentions and your actions.
7. Using self-hatred as a motivator. You'll never be able to sustain a routine or reach your goals if you use a negative self image as a motivator. Did you know that negative feelings actually increase your risk of injury, as they interfere with movement and coordination? Focus on loving and accepting yourself as you are right where you are and celebrate every success no matter how small!
posted on: 4/21/2010 10:30:00 AM by Robin Stephens
Life Fitness: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Discuss This Post
There are no comments.
by Robin Stephens
View This Blog
Subscribe To This Blog
Hello, I'm Robin Stephens -
your "M"power coach! The "M" stands for Mind -
because that's where all change begins!
I'm a professional organizer, certified
personal trainer and lifestyle management coach.
Welcome to YourLifeinOrder.com - Lifestyle
Fitness for Sassy, Seasoned Women professionals
and business owners.
Is your life healthy, wealthy and organized?
A healthy body MEANS business!
A healthy home environment supports and
strengthens you. Purposeful goals encourage
you to live with passion and balance - in your
professional and personal life.
Visit me at www.yourlifeinorder.com for
your free Success kit! Get free resources
and tips on how to reclaim, release, and
renew your body, mind, spirit and your
environment. Make yourself the focal
point and shine like the diamond you are
with radiant health, energy, and passion!
Contact me at
[email protected]@gmail.com/[email protected]
or call 206-473-7697.
Robin's Other Blogs: