Blog: Life Management
JOLLY HOLIDAY GET TOGETHERS OR NOT?
Experience has shown that family reunions are not always as happy as we would like. Some suggestions to make for happy gatherings are:
- Plan sleeping arrangements in advance if the clan is coming to your house. Family members are more cooperative if they k now they're going to have to share (or give up) their rooms for a few nights.
- If age or handicap means guests will need special attention, discuss this with your family before they arrive. There's less chance of inadvertent thoughtlessness if you're prepare for things like Great-Grandma's memory loss.
- If a family member will need to provide extra services such as babysitting, ask first, and diminish resentment.
- If you're the host, have a few things in mind to entertain guests, but be flexible. You don't need to have every minute planned; interests vary, and your guest might appreciate the opportunity to rest a bit before setting out on a whirlwind of activity. If you're the visitor, consider your host's schedule if he must meet you at the airport.
- Avoid traveling the day before the holiday if you can, and you'll avoid the delays.
- Considerate guests pick up after themselves, help with chores, and (especially if they're staying a while), offer to share the cost of groceries or meals eaten out.
- Both guests and hosts need private time. The sensitive person quietly retires to his room or goes out for a walk or drive.
Keep these pointers in mind as you host and are hosted by others during the holidays and everyone will go away with many happy memories!
posted on: 12/20/2011 12:00:00 PM by Judy Warmington
category: The Mental Side
Life Management: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Discuss This Post
There are no comments.
by Judy Warmington
View This Blog
Subscribe To This Blog
Judy Warmington, Woman Time Management (owner) -- Busy wife, mother of three adult/married children, grandmother of 10 (5 boys and 5 girls!), former high school teacher (M.A. from W.M.U.), Speaker, Author, Radio Personality, and Trainer of Professional Organizers.