Blog: The Simplified Home
Last Minute Holiday Shoppers Like Life on the Edge
For those who wait to do their holiday shopping until the last minute must like life on the edge.
Since purchasing gifts on-line to arrive by Christmas day is no longer an option, here are some tips for the last minute shopper that can reduce the rush of living on the edge, if you choose.
Before heading out to the mall chaos, do all your planning before leaving the house. Shopping on Dec. 24 requires honed time management skills …
- Make a list and check it twice - strategize in advance, who you need to buy for and gift ideas for each
- Write down which stores carry as many of the gifts you need to buy to eliminate travel time to and from stores
- Since the 24th is on a Monday this year, after deciding the stores to go to, pull out the Saturday/Sunday newspaper ads to see if you can find any last minute bargains
- Before heading out the door, call the stores you plan to visit and check to be sure the item you want to purchase is in stock. With time of the essence, you don't want to make any wasted trips.
- Plan your route to maximize your time to minimize getting stuck in traffic with all the other last minute shoppers
- Don't forget the wrapping wrapping, bows & cards – you don't want to get home and realize that you've bought the perfect gift, but don't have anything to put it in.
- If all of this sounds like too much time and effort … just give gift cards or money, and resolve to get an earlier start next year!
As a Professional Organizer, I always advocate for giving gifts that don't add more clutter to our already bursting at the seams homes. Give 'experience gifts' like restaurant gift cards, memberships to the Zoo or Museum, concert tickets, movie tickets, a night's stay at a close-by bed and breakfast.
The best gift of all is a gift certificate for the services of a Professional Organizer to help you make space for all the new holiday gifts that entered your home in December!
Wishing you all the blessings of the season and Simplified Spaces in the 2008.
posted on: 12/24/2007 10:00:00 AM by Janet Nusbaum, The Organizing Genie
The Simplified Home: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Discuss This Post
The Simplified Home
by Janet Nusbaum, The Organizing Genie
View This Blog
Subscribe To This Blog
Janet Nusbaum creates calm out of chaos, and loves bringing serenity and order to overwhelmed households, cluttered offices, frazzled parents, and transitioning seniors and families. Janet, President of Simplified Spaces & The Simplified Home, is an Organizing Consultant, Senior Move Manager, Author and Speaker.
She is the author of "Mom, Can I Help Around the House?" A Simple, Step-by-Step System for Teaching Your Children Life-Long Skills for Pitching-In & Picking-up".
She is a proud member: National Association of Professional Organizers (NAPO) & National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization (NSGCD)
Visit our blog - www.TheOrganizingGenie.com, and sign-up to receive our special report "SHELF LIFE OF 75 COMMON HOUSEHOLD ITEMS. Use this report to decide what to keep and what to toss ... then TAKE ACTION!!
Janet's Other Blogs: