Blog: Take The Stress Out Of Housecleaning
Organizing and Cleaning Your Laundry Room
Why is it that this room always seems to have laundry soap in the wrong places, nothing is within reach and we never have enough room?
Probably because no one has ever really taken the time, to decide what needs to be in this space and where it should be.
Should we have shelves, bins or storage containers? Should we have good lighting? Should there be a small clothes pole?
I say YES, to all of these questions. Anyone that has ever done laundry, knows how maddening it is to pull clothes out of the dryer, put the clothes on hangers, so they do not wrinkle, and then not have anywhere to put the hanger!
I have concluded that whoever came up with the wonderful idea of every home having a laundry room, — never did laundry! If they had, they would have given it some careful consideration and created an actual work area that was compatible with what the chore itself entailed.
So, let's organize your laundry and make it a workable room!
- Place a shelf, above the washer, that has enough room for soap (the type with the spigot to fill the cup of soap), bleach, non-chlorine bleach, baking soda and liquid fabric softener. It is easier and takes less time to have everything within an arms reach, than to have to go into a cupboard to retrieve the items.
- Place one 'wall' cabinet in the area, in which to hold extra's, stain releasers etc.
- From this cabinet, to the wall, have a short clothes pole that will extend over the back of the dryer area. You will want this to be above your dryer because it will take less time and movement to hang the clothes.
- If you have the space, you may also want to have a table, cupboard top or work area that you can use to fold your clothes.
- Underneath this area, have some open shelves in which you can store laundry baskets that are a different color, for every family member. This way, everyone has a specific color and automatically knows when they have clothes to put away. Do not forget to have one basket for towels, sheets etc.
- I also have a small little basket, on my shelf with the laundry detergent, which I use to hold little, mini lingerie bags. These come in handy for throwing small children's' socks in, slipper socks, nylons etc. They are thrown right in the washer and dryer, you never loose a matching sock or nylon and nothing manages to get snagged or wrapped around them.
- Add a light that floods the area, so that you can see those stains that are hard-to-find, and you don't have to look for them with a magnifying glass.
Just imagine the time and steps you will save, not to mention the amount of stress and frustration that you can eliminate from your life, by having organization take over the laundry room!
posted on: 1/4/2008 10:00:00 AM by Jan Hayner
Take The Stress Out Of Housecleaning: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Blog Central: < Previous Post - Next Post >
Discuss This Post
There are no comments.
Take The Stress Out Of Housecleaning
by Jan Hayner
View This Blog
Subscribe To This Blog
Jan Hayner is a Professional Organizer and the creator of www.organizingandcleaning.com filled with tips and hints on home organizing and house cleaning shortcuts. After years and years of making mistakes and wasting money she has used her own experiences to help take the stress out of life. There are so many shortcuts to cleaning and organizing, that when you apply them, you will have time for the fun things in life!
Fun Things To Do
- Fishing Lake Michigan
Whether it is by boat or off the pier, there is nothing like getting that first Coho or King.
- Grandchildren are fun
Making memories for your grandchildren of all of the fun times they had with grandma and grandpa is one of the best memories you will make for yourself too.
A tent, a firepit and sitting in the woods is a campers dream. We spend a lot of time camping in Northern Wisconsin and I have tons of camping recipes to share.
- American Idol
I am hooked on this show, nothing interrupts me when this is on. By the time they get to Hollywood, I already have the top ten picked out.
- Last Comic Standing
I love to see how these people, take the judges advice and change their tactics to become great comics, instead of just a comic.
Now really, isn't he the kind of doctor you want on your side? He always has a reason for his actions, he looks until he finds the cure and he has flaws just like the rest of us.
- Any home make over show
I get some of my best ideas off of these shows and I also find things that I wouldn't dream of doing to someone elses home. I will admit, there are times that I wish they would call me and ask for my help!