Site MapContact UsAbout UsYour Shopping CartWelcome to www.OnlineOrganizing.com -- A World Of Organizing Solutions
Do You Need Help Getting Organized?Shop For Organizing And Business Development ProductsProfessional Organizing ServicesFind A Seminar, Workshop, Or Keynote SpeakerRead Our Two Free Monthly NewslettersFree Organizing Tips And AdviceResources For Professional OrganizersLearn How To Become A Professional OrganizerUseful Organizing Website Links

Search for:

Category:

Take a look at these sections for other organizing resources:

Also, take a look at these fun tips:

www.OnlineOrganizing.com Discussion Board

Active Topics  Display List of Forum Members  Search The Forum  Help
  Register  Login
Building Your Organizing Business
 www.OnlineOrganizing.com Forums > Building Your Organizing Business
Subject Topic: Should I Inc, LLC, self proprietor? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mograz

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 October 2006 at 4:08pm | IP Logged Quote mograz

I am new to this forum and would appreciate any form of advice you have about setting up a PO company. Is it recommended that I start as a self proprietorship, or incorporate. Do I even need to formally get a business license? I heard you can use your social and be okay, as long as you file a 1099 every year?
Is it necessary to get an accountant to set me up?
Any advice or personal experience given would be great.
Back to Top View mograz's Profile Search for other posts by mograz

Ramona Creel
Admin Group
Admin Group

Owner

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 October 2006 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote Ramona Creel

Your choice of business entity needs to be based on your tax situation, financial goals for your business, and your concern about risk. The reasons to incorporate are for favored tax status and to protect you from liability with "the corporate veil" (if someone sues you, it's harder to attach your personal assests). But there are disadvantages to incorporating, it's more expensive, and you will have larger recordkeeping responsibilities. You really need to speak to an attorney and a CPA to make the right decision.

In answer to your second question, you absolutely need a business license if you are going to run a business. Just using your social security and filing a 1099 may be enough for the IRS, but your local city or county has regulations about unlicensed businesses operating in the area -- and they also want their annual fee. You may be able to get away without a license for a while, but I know someone who was busted a few years into their business, and the cost in fines and fees and interest WAY outweighed what he would have paid if he had done everything "legal" from the beginning. I say, better safe than sorry!
Back to Top View Ramona Creel's Profile Search for other posts by Ramona Creel

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version