You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
NEW! - Keywords For This Page: Office - Event Planning - Holidays
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
- Formal event or casual?
- Focus on business issues or just a party?
- Available budget? Will employees contribute?
- Sit-down dinner? Buffet? Finger food? Special dietary requirements?
- Live entertainment or recorded music?
- Do-it-yourself affair or hire professionals?
- choose a venue
- pay attention to parking, disabled access, amenities, etc.
- create and send invitations
- select decorations (banners, flowers, centerpieces, balloons, etc.)
- purchase or request donations for raffle prizes
- plan schedule for the evening (time for speeches, presentations, etc.)
- prepare menu and grocery list
- choose and hire caterer and serving help
- hire entertainers -- or arrange a sound system and select recorded music
- recruit some volunteers
- assign jobs to help with planning, set up, serving, and clean up
- purchase or make decorations and decorate the room
- purchase or rent dishes, glassware, and silverware
- purchase or rent table cloths, napkins, and serving pieces
- purchase or rent decorations, centerpieces, candles, etc.
- shop for groceries and prepare food
TIPS FOR HEADING OFF PROBLEMS
- include every piece of pertinent info on the invitation or a separate insert
- include directions, dress requirements, schedule for the evening, etc.
- have guests RSVP a week before the event
- so you have time to plan for adequate seating and food
- let the facility know ASAP of any special needs you might have
- AV equipment, chairs and tables, space for entertainers, etc.
- put up directional signs pointing guests toward the right room
- put up signs to the restrooms if they are not in the immediate area
- confirm arrangements with hired service providers a few days ahead
- caterers, bartenders, musicians, valet parking, wait staff, etc.
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...