You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
- Preparing your home for an open house is a must if you want to sell your home quickly and for top dollar. Here are a few things to do at the last minute.
Last Minute Tips
- Your house should smell good, but not overpowering; air out ˝ hour before showing. Open windows in the spring.
- Vacate house while showing if possible.
- Take pets away for the day.
- Take toys off the front yard.
- Sweep the front walk
- Open blinds, drapes, and curtains to the outside world, especially the front of the house (make sure windows are clean).
- Turn lights on in every room.
- Play music on low: soothing and pleasant
- Light fireplace
- Neutralize cigarette or pipe smell
- Place fresh flowers at the entrance and on the kitchen table.
- Open a recipe book in the kitchen
- Open a book in the bedroom on the bed or in a favorite reading spot.
- Do a quickie wipe of all surfaces with Clorox wipes: kitchen, bath, toilet, and sinks.
- Dry out sinks with paper towels.
- Keep temperature at a comfortable level: cold days, warm and cozy; hot days, crisp and cool.
- Take cars out of the garage (shows space).
- Hide dirty dishes in the stove.
- Place clean hand towel and guest soap in bathrooms
- Place clean bath towels in bathrooms.
- Hide dirty clothes in washer and dryer.
- Plump pillows and make beds.
- Fold blankets and throws.
- Stack papers neatly.
- Use a quickie sweeper.
Vali Heist is a Professional Organizer, the owner of The Clutter Crew for homeowners, and a Certified GO System Trainer for businesses. She also writes a monthly column for the Reading Eagle called 'Ask the Organizer' and has a radio program called 'Organize This!' on BoomerGenerationRadio.com.
Vali's bachelor's degree is in Business Administration from Shippensburg University and her Master's Degree is in Higher Education from Kutztown University. Vali has an extensive background of 24 years in Higher Education including training, administration, project management, writing, and editorial production.
Her passion has always been organization and how it relates to the simplification of work and personal life in order to enjoy both to the fullest. Her ultimate goal is to continue finding simple, easy to implement ideas that work in the real world and pass them on to her clients.
- Greater Reading Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Greater Philadelphia Chapter of National Association of Professional Organizers
- National Association of Professional Organizers
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...