You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
- Maintaining an organized and efficient home or office doesn’t have to be daunting. You can do it in 5 to 15-minute chunks. Keep this list of small tasks in a notebook or post it on a wall or bulletin board. Whenever you find a few spare minutes during the day, choose one or two tasks and make good use of the time.
In The Home:
- Shake out all your throw rugs.
- Clean out a kitchen drawer.
- Wash the mirrors and glass on framed artwork.
- Organize potting supplies in the garage.
- Sweep out the garage.
- Go through your hanging clothes and pull out six things for charity.
- Put a load in the washer and start it up.
- Clear off the front of the refrigerator or the bulletin board.
- Check the pantry or refrigerator for expired foodstuff.
- Organize your purse or briefcase.
- Wash the dishes.
- Clear off the seats and floor of the car.
- Make the beds.
- Fill a bucket with water and vinegar and wipe off the window sills.
- Get out the vacuum and sweep the blinds.
- Sort through catalogs and recycle.
- Pull articles you want to keep from magazines.
- Check coupons and gift cards for expiration dates.
- Wash the fronts of all your cupboards.
- Return CDs and DVDs to their cases.
- Pull off the couch cushions and vacuum inside the couch.
- Check the medicine cabinet for expiration dates.
- Check all your battery run clocks to make sure they are still running.
- Put scattered books, magazines, catalogs into a basket or bin.
- Wash the bathroom, kitchen and entryway rugs.
- Wash off the refrigerator shelves.
- Clear out everything under the beds and vacuum.
- Sort through kid’s school papers and artwork. Put keepers in a folder.
- Make a shopping or grocery list.
- Take a walk, a shower or a nap.
In The Office:
- Clear the clutter from your desktop.
- Return supplies and file folders to their proper homes.
- Revise and rewrite your daily to-do list.
- Start a box for things to take home.
- Go through and organize a small pile of paper.
- Pick anything up from the floor that doesn’t belong there.
- Scan your email in-box for items to delete.
- Read a short newsletter or article.
- Update your voice mail message.
- Make a list of phone calls you need to place or return.
- Jot down a few ideas for your next business meeting.
- Open, read and sort the day’s mail.
- Organize receipts.
- Go over and update your Outlook task list.
- Pull out one or two overstuffed file folders and check for possible discards.
- Review a project checklist.
- Water the plants.
- Organize a desk drawer.
- Stretch your muscles.
- Take a quick walk around the building.
- Make an overdue phone call.
- Transfer contact information from business cards to your computer.
- Check over your calendar or appointment schedule.
- Write a thank you note.
- Practice deep breathing.
- Create a mission statement.
- Enjoy a healthy beverage or snack.
- Take stuff to the building’s recycling center.
- Organize your briefcase.
- Relax and think beautiful thoughts.
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...