You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
NEW! - Keywords For This Page: Clothing - Auctioning - Accessories
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
HOW CONSIGNMENT WORKS
- you sign a contract with a retailer
- you leave your merchandise with the retailer
- retailer displays them for sale for a set period of time
- if an item sells, you are paid a percentage
PICKING A STORE
- visit the shop for its layout, feel, and appearance
- find out how and where your products will be displayed
- see what kind of customers frequent this store
- find out what kind of shopping traffic the store gets
- check out the condition of other merchandise
- choose a shop that specializes in your particular merchandise
- i.e. furniture, clothes, children's items, collectibles, etc.
- decide if your products fit in with the feel of the store
- look at the prices of other similar items
- ask how your valuable items will be insured
- look for fire protection, locked cases, burglar alarms, etc.
PREPARING YOUR MERCHANDISE
- thoroughly clean all items before submitting
- repair any damage or wear if possible
- take photos to show the quality and condition of each item
- time your consignments right when submitting seasonal items
- get a rough idea of what an item is worth ahead of time
- prepare any paperwork (appraisals, insurance, etc.)
PROTECTING YOUR RIGHTS
- get all the terms and agreements in writing
- make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities in writing
- ask for the right to "pull" your items early if they aren't selling
- know what kind of "discounting" schedule will be applied
- know up front what the consignment percentage fee will be
- ask about any other charges
- check with other consigners for their experiences
- receive an itemized receipt for the items you've submitted
- get a regular statement for items that have sold
Copyright Ramona Creel, all rights reserved-- you are welcome to reprint any article, but you MUST include this resource box.
Ramona Creel is a modern Renaissance woman and guru of simplicity -- traveling the country as a full-time RVer, sharing her story of radically downsizing, and inspiring others to regain control of their own lives. As a Professional Organizer and Accountability Coach, Ramona will help you create the time and space to focus on your true priorities -- clearing away the clutter other obstacles and standing in the way of that life you've always wanted to be living. As a Professional Photographer, Ramona captures powerful images of places and people as she travels. And as a travel writer, social commentator, and blogger, she shares her experiences and insights about the world as we know it. You can see all these sides of Ramona -- read her articles, browse through her photographs, and even hire her to help get your life in order -- at www.RamonaCreel.com. And be sure to follow her on Twitter and on Facebook.
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...