You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
NEW! - Keywords For This Page: Auctioning - Downsizing - Seniors
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
DESCRIBING YOUR PRODUCT
- start with an attention-grabbing title for your product
- include any brand names
- describe the condition -- emphasize "new" items
- be honest about any flaws, damage, or wear
- provide as much description as necessary
- usually no space limit -- the more information the better
- size, color, and any special features
- indicate gender (men's, women's, kid's) when appropriate
- include photos and close-up's of features and "minor damage"
- place your item in a category with other similar items
HOW THE BIDDING PROCESS WORKS
- can participate in a traditional "auction" setting
- decide on a starting price
- set the bidding increments (i.e. minimum of $1)
- determine if you want item not to sell below a "reserve" price
- set a time limit for how long you want bid to be open
- item goes to highest bidder at end of auction
- if no one meets reserve price, item does not sell
- can also set "buy now" option that skips auction process
- purchaser can buy immediately for a pre-determined price
SHIPPING YOUR ORDER
- let bidders know shipping method up front
- best to choose a flat rate shipping method
- or find shipping cost to farthest point from you in the country
- indicate that shipping may be higher for overseas bidders
- let bidders know if insurance on package costs more
- choose an escrow service to handle payments
- they receive cash payment from buyer and hold until delivery
- avoid problems with bounced checks and bad credit cards
- choose an escrow recommended by your auction service
WAYS TO PROTECT YOUR INTERESTS
- ask up front what the auction service's fees are
- see if fees are flat or a percentage of your sale
- also find out what protections you have from the service
- see how you are covered in case of a dishonest buyer
- know your rights and responsibilities before signing on
Copyright Ramona Creel, all rights reserved-- you are welcome to reprint any article, but you MUST include this resource box.
Ramona Creel is a modern Renaissance woman and guru of simplicity -- traveling the country as a full-time RVer, sharing her story of radically downsizing, and inspiring others to regain control of their own lives. As a Professional Organizer and Accountability Coach, Ramona will help you create the time and space to focus on your true priorities -- clearing away the clutter other obstacles and standing in the way of that life you've always wanted to be living. As a Professional Photographer, Ramona captures powerful images of places and people as she travels. And as a travel writer, social commentator, and blogger, she shares her experiences and insights about the world as we know it. You can see all these sides of Ramona -- read her articles, browse through her photographs, and even hire her to help get your life in order -- at www.RamonaCreel.com. And be sure to follow her on Twitter and on Facebook.
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...