You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
NEW! - Keywords For This Page: Accounting - Finances
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
AN ACCOUNTANT CAN HELP WITH...
- bookkeeping and work simplification
- tax services
- preparing financial statements
- management advisory services
- data processing
QUESTIONS TO ASK
- What is your area of expertise?
- How many other clients do you handle yourself?
- Who else in the firm would be working on my account?
- Are their hourly rates the same or different than yours?
- How long have you been working as a CPA?
- What is your work history?
- How accessible will you be if I have a question?
- How do you bill?
- If my firm grows, can you grow with me?
- How much of your time is spent helping clients with planning?
- How much of your time is spent on compliance work?
- What are your professional affiliations?
- How do you stay up-to-date on accounting practice?
- How many of your clients have been audited?
- Why were they audited and what was the result?
YOUR ACCOUNTANT SHOULD...
- be accessible within reason
- submit reports in a timely fashion
- itemized your bills to show hours expended and services provided
- not be learning her job on your time and money
- be up-to-date on legal and legislative changes
- inform you of the status of your business and / or holdings
- involve you in all decisions
- expect to represent you in an IRS audit, should one occur
- refer you to other professionals if you step outside her expertise
- help you streamline your financial record-keeping tasks
- be able to advise you on your personal tax planning questions
Linda Berggren is a CPA with Gifford, Hillegass, and Ingwerson. For more information, go to the GH&I website at www.ghi-cpa.com.
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...