You Are Here: Home - Expert Advice - The Organizer's Toolbox - Tip Sheets
NEW! - Keywords For This Page: Safety / Security - Homes
Feel free to use this tip sheet / checklist as you tackle your own ""do-it-yourself"" organizing projects. If you would like to REPRINT or DISTRIBUTE this information, please click here for reprinting instructions.
AVOIDING HOUSEHOLD ACCIDENTS
- fasten carpet edges and tuck cords away to avoid falls
- lock poisonous items away where children can't reach them
- put non-skid mats or appliqués in tubs and showers
- always clearly label household cleaners and chemicals
- install at least one smoke detector on every floor
- keep several fire extinguishers throughout the house
- use shatter-proof glass on all windows and shower doors
- use ground-fault circuit interrupters with your outlets
- put a fence around your pool to keep children out
- make sure all stairways have adequate lighting and handrails
- wipe up spills immediately and salt walkways when it freezes
BURGLAR-PROOFING YOUR HOME
- lock doors and windows at night and when you aren't home
- install dead-bolts and pick-proof locks
- put in motion-detector lights around your house
- install window bars or a home alarm system
- create a barrier under windows with prickly shrubs
- make sure your home exterior is well lit with no deep shadows
- put a piece of wood in the track of sliding windows and doors
- join your local neighborhood watch
- set timers for lights, TV, and radio when you aren't home
- keep expensive items where they can't be seen from outside
- hide valuables in unusual places (freezer, false wall outlet, bathroom)
- consider buying a home safe for smaller valuables
- don't hide keys in a planter or under the door mat
- find out who it is before opening the front door
- make sure you have a wide-angle peephole
- have your keys our before you approach your front door
- stay alert to your surroundings when entering your home
- be particularly wary when coming home alone or at night
Copyright Ramona Creel, all rights reserved-- you are welcome to reprint any article, but you MUST include this resource box.
Ramona Creel is a modern Renaissance woman and guru of simplicity -- traveling the country as a full-time RVer, sharing her story of radically downsizing, and inspiring others to regain control of their own lives. As a Professional Organizer and Accountability Coach, Ramona will help you create the time and space to focus on your true priorities -- clearing away the clutter other obstacles and standing in the way of that life you've always wanted to be living. As a Professional Photographer, Ramona captures powerful images of places and people as she travels. And as a travel writer, social commentator, and blogger, she shares her experiences and insights about the world as we know it. You can see all these sides of Ramona -- read her articles, browse through her photographs, and even hire her to help get your life in order -- at www.RamonaCreel.com. And be sure to follow her on Twitter and on Facebook.
Would you like to reprint this tip sheet in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.
Click here if you would like to submit a tip sheet or checklist...