Welcome to www.OnlineOrganizing.com -- A World Of Organizing Solutions Your Order Your Shopping Cart About Us Contact Us Site Map
Do You Need Help Getting Organized?Shop For Organizing And Business Development ProductsProfessional Organizing ServicesFind A Seminar, Workshop, Or Keynote SpeakerRead Our Two Free Monthly NewslettersFree Organizing Tips And AdviceResources For Professional OrganizersLearn How To Become A Professional OrganizerUseful Organizing Website LinksUseful Organizing Website Links

Search for:


Here are some random keywords you might like to explore:

You Are Here: Home - Newsletters - "Organized For A Living" - Article

     What To Do If You Didnít Get a Form 1099

If you earned revenues as an independent CONTRACTOR this past tax year, you should have received a 1099 Form for the work. So, what if you havenít received one?
WHY A 1099?

If you earned over $600 from one person or company as an independent contractor in 2005, that company or person is supposed to issue you a 1099-MISC form. The form is applicable to revenues, rents, royalties and other categories of income beyond the scope of this article. In issuing you a 1099, the business or company is also supposed to send a duplicate of the form to the IRS. This allows the Internal Revenue Service to keep a tab on how much money you earned in 2005. Lucky you.

1099 Forms are supposed to be issued to independent contractors by January 31. Businesses, particularly small businesses, are famous for FAILING to get the forms out on time. They have to be filed with the Internal Revenue Service by the end of February, so businesses often send them out at that time. If you havenít received a 1099 by the first week or so of March, it is time to take ACTION.

The first step to resolving the problem is to CALL the business or person and ask about it. Some arenít even aware they are SUPPOSED to issue the forms and file them with the Internal Revenue Service. They are focused on their businesses, not tax documents. Giving them a heads up will almost always take care of the problem.

1099 forms are not filed with your tax return. They are INFORMATION forms only, so failing to receive one is hardly the end of the world. You should already know how much revenue you earned in the tax year. A 1099 form doesnít really help you figure taxes. It just keeps the Internal Revenue Service INFORMED. If you donít receive a 1099, you can determine your revenues by totaling invoices for the client or reviewing bank account statements.

If you donít receive a 1099 form, it does not mean you can FORGO reporting the revenue on your tax return. If you take this course of action, you run the risk of being AUDITED and charged with tax evasion by the Internal Revenue Service. It isnít remotely worth the risk.


Richard Chapo is with BusinessTaxRecovery.com -- providing information on taxes.

Would you like to reprint this article in your publication -- or distribute it to a wider audience? Click here for reprinting instructions.

Want to receive these kind of articles via e-mail each month? Sign up for a free newsletter subscription.

Click here to return to "Organized For A Living" -- July 2007...

Add this page to your Bookmarks!

E-mail this page to a friend!

www.OnlineOrganizing.com is a service mark of Bradford, LLC.
Content on this site is © Bradford, LLC, All rights reserved.

If you notice any problems with this site, please contact our webmaster.
And if you don't see what you need you are welcome to "ask the organizer" any question!

To see what people are saying about www.OnlineOrganizing.com, check out our visitor comments.

Click here to view our privacy policy.

Calendar Of Organizing Holidays And Events Blog Central Sign Up For Our Free Online Newsletters Join The Conversation At Our Organizing Discussion Board Advertise Your Company On Our Website Be An Affiliate Of www.OnlineOrganizing.com
Check Us Out On FaceBook